Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my "go to" potato salad that I've been making for quite some time. It's the one my husband always requests because it's so tasty and because it contains no mayonnaise. For those who do and don't enjoy mayonnaise, this potato salad is sure to please with it's definite Mediterranean flavors. This recipe originally came from a high-end grocer, J. Bildner and Sons in back bay Boston. I've tweaked a bit from the original recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, medium
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard, with seeds (such as Pommery)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (preferably a good quality brand)
- 2 -3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Wash and boil the unpeeled potatoes until just tender (about 20 minutes). Drain and cool them completely. Cut into 1/2 inch dice. Place in a large serving bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the mustards and olive oil. Add the red wine vinegar, minced red onion, diced bell peppers, chopped parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix to blend.
- Pour the mustard mixture over the sliced potatoes and toss to coat. Serve or keep covered in the refrigerator. Return to room temperature before serving.
- TIP: It is best to not let the potatoes cool completely before adding remaining ingredients. Add ingredients to the potato salad while potatoes are still slightly hot/warm to help flavors penetrate more deeply.
This was a nice potato salad, loved the absence of mayonnaise! Next time I will try refrigerating it for a while to bring out the flavors more. We also made just 2 servings so we would not have leftovers. Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.
I really enjoyed this. I only made it for 2 serves as I knew i could not eat the 6 :) I think next time I will put less red wine vinegar in. I will be making this for our next BBQ thanks so much