Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Simple meatballs with a slightly sweet sauce.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash lemon juice
- Mix the ground beef, bread crumbs and egg together in a bowl.
- Shape meatballs using your hands. Lay them out on waxed paper until all are done.
- Heat the oil in a fry pan and brown the meatballs, a few at a time, until all are done.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together in a saucepan.
- Cook on top of the stove on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve on toothpicks for a snack, or over rice or noodles for dinner.
As a recipe aimed towards kids, this is a really good one. These meatballs are not overly seasoned and the sauce is very mild with a hint of sweet to it. Both my DS's (4 and 1) ate them up and 4 yr old asked for seconds!! The only change I would make next time is double the sauce ingredients since we didn't eat as an appy, a little more sauce to pour over the top would be good. Made for Bargain Basement Tag 4/2010.