Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
A yummy home canned soup to warm you up in the cold winters months!
- 5 lbs tomatoes
- 8 cups coarsely shredded cabbage
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 2 tablespoons instant beef bouillon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Wash, peel remove stem ends and cores, and quarter tomatoes. Use a small spoon to scrape out the excess seeds, if desired.
- In 4 to 6 quart kettle or dutch oven combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, boil uncovered 5 minutes.
- Ladle hot soup into hot jars, leaving 1/2 head space.
- Adjust the lids.
- Process in canner at 10 pounds, 45 minutes for pints or 55 minutes for quarts.
- Makes 8 pints.
I was in a panic trying to figure out how to preserve all of the cabbage from our garden this year. This recipe was perfect to pack away many quarts of delicious soup for the winter. It tastes wonderful and I added in some canned brisket when preparing supper recently and it made a delicious and hearty stew. Thank you so much!
Wonderful recipe. I put a jar of this in our county fair last year and won first place with it. I used red cabbage and the result was beautiful jar of soup.