Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from Tarla Dalal's Delicious Diabetic Low Cal recipe cookbook. Rice is most often avoided by diabetics, but, they can enjoy this provided they use minimal oil and more of veggies. Veggies are rich in vitamins and fibre. Select unprocessed rice like kolam or brown rice instead of polished rice which has little or no fibre and then prepare and enjoy this, GUILT FREE! Note: You may also use dalia(broken wheat) instead of rice to make this dish.
- 1 cup uncooked rice, washed
- 3⁄4 cup French beans, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped (whites and greens separated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soya sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
To serve with
- green chili, in vinegar (optional)
- Boil rice in 2 cups of water. Ensure that each grain of cooked rice is separate.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add all the veggies except the spring onion greens.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsps. water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, soya sauce, spring onion greens and salt.
- Mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with chillies in vinegar.
For diabetics it is best to use Basmati rice as this has a much lower GI than ordinary rice.