Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from Tarla Dalal's Delicious Diabetic low cal recipe book. Turai or ridge gourd is low in cals and carbs. You may use peeled or unpeeled turai for this. The peels are rich in fibre. Serve this dish with hot rotis and a salad. Enjoy!
- 2 cups ridge gourd, peeled and sliced (turai)
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon chopped gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup yellow moong dal, soaked and drained (split yellow gram)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves, chopped, for garnishing
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add cumin seeds and allow to crackle.
- Once they stop crackling, add onions and saute until lightly browned. Sprinkle few drops of water to prevent onions from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add garlic, ginger, green chilli and stir-fry until the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- Fold in the turai and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the moong dal, turmeric powder, salt and 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover and cook on medium heat till the turai and dal are soft.
- Add tomatoes and mix well.
- Simmer for 5 minutes so that the tomatoes soften.
- Garnish with corriander leaves.
- Serve hot.