Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is from Tarla Dalal's Delicious Diabetic low cal recipe book. These tikkis are packed with protein, vitamin A and iron and low in oil. Enjoy these as a starter or snack during the day. Lentils are heavy on the stomach in the night and must not be had after sunset.
- 1⁄4 cup whole masoor dal (whole red lentils)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger and green chili paste
- 2 teaspoons whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons low fat cottage cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
low fat panir (cottage cheese)
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the low fat paneer, put the milk to boil in a broad pan.
- Once it starts boiling, add the low-fat yoghurt and mix well.
- Remove from heat and stir gently until the milk curdles.
- Strain and tie the curdled milk in a muslin cloth. Hang for 30 minutes to allow the whey to drain out.
- Use in the recipe as required later.
- Note: If the milk has not curdled completely in step 2, allow it to boil once more.
- Secondly, if you want firm paneer, cover the block with a heavy weight to compress the paneer. This way you can cut cubes later from the paneer. This is what I do.
- Clean, wash and soak the lentils overnight or atleast for 45 minutes before proceeding.
- Drain completely.
- Combine the lentils with 2 cups of water and pressure cook till the lentils are soft and slightly over cooked, but not mashed(about 2 whistles).
- Drain the lentils and discard any extra water. Using a mortar and pestle, coarsely pound the lentils.
- Combine this coarsely pounded masoor paste with the remaining ingredients and mix well in a mixing bowl.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts.
- Shape each into an even round-sized flat piece.
- Heat a non-stick griddle(tawa) and cook each tikki on high heat using a little oil until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve hot.
- Note: The discarded masoor dal water can be used to make rotis dough as it is full of nutrients or may be had as a soup with a pinch of pepper to clear a sore throat. I've tried this and it works like a charm besides giving me strength!