Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a dessert that diabetics may have. It comes from Tarla Dalal's Delicious Diabetic Low cal recipe book. Use the low fat milk for diabetics recipe I have posted separately for this. The use of milk makes these rich in calcium and protein. Enjoy!
- 1 liter low-fat milk
- 3 -5 saffron strands
- 1⁄4 teaspoon citric acid
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 4 (1 g) packets sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon pistachios, chopped (optional)
- 3 saffron strands
- Keep aside 4 tsps. milk.
- Boil the rest in a heavy bottomed pan. Stir continously while boiling until the milk reduces to half its original quantity.
- Warm the saffron in a small pan.
- Add 4 tsps. milk and mix thoroughly.
- Add to the boiling milk.
- Mix the citric acid in 3 tsps. water.
- Add this gradually to the boiling milk until it curdles slightly. You may have to use half or maybe the full quantity of the citric acid mixture.
- In a bowl, combine the cornflour with 4 tsps. water.
- Add this to the boiling mixture.
- Continue stirring until the mixture thickens and resembles dried milk(khoya).
- Fold in the cardamom powder.
- Allow to cool, then add the sugar substitute and mix well.
- Shape into 7 small balls.
- Garnish and serve.