Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Tarla Dalal's Delicious Diabetic Low Cal recipes book. Note: You may use any fresh veggies if cabbage and spinach are not your favourites. Celery garlic toasts are posted separately. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons yellow moong dal, washed (split yellow gram)
- 2 onions, cut into large pieces
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into large pieces
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian baked beans (Heinz) or 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup (Heinz)
- 1 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- black pepper
- To prepare stock, in a pressure cooker put the water and moong dal and pressure cook until the lentils are tender.
- Allow to cool.
- Blend in a liquidiser and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute the onion in it for a minute.
- Fold in cabbage and spinach.
- Saute for another minute.
- Add stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Fold in the baked beans or tomato ketchup, tomato, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with celery garlic toasts.