Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is from Tarla Dalal's delicious diabetic low cal cookbook. Cluster beans or gavar have the highest fibre content among all vegetables and prevent a rapid rise in blood sugar levels after a meal. Red pumpkin thickens the gravy and imparts a natural sweetness to this dish which is delectable. Enjoy! Note: This can be cooked in a pressure cooker as cluster beans would otherwise take much longer to cook.
- 2 cups cluster beans, cut into 1 inch pieces (gavar)
- 2 cups red pumpkins (kaddu)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ajwain
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
- Toss in cumin seeds and allow to crackle.
- Once they stop crackling, add ajwain and asafoetida.
- Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add cluster beans, pumpkin, chilli and turmeric powders and salt.
- Saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add garlic, cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes or until the cluster beans are cooked.
- Mash the pumpkin and add it to make the gravy.
- Garnish with corriander leaves and serve hot.