Recipe by Papa D 1946-2012
When the weather turns nippy, warm up your insides with this stew. Very good. Found this on a calendar years ago. Potatoes can be a substitution for turnips. This also can be made in a crock pot, add all ingredients cover and cook on low for 6- 8 hours. Note: The beef base is a concentrated beef stock made by Superior Touch. Its in same location as bouillon cubes and I find it to have better flavor and not as salty.
Top Review by Buzymomof3
OK, I must be doing something wrong because my review didn't show up. I made this exactly as written - including using the better than bullion base. I have trouble rating because I'm not a fan of wine in my cooking, but I wanted to be true to the recipe so I used it. I wasn't wild over the taste (probably because of the wine) but my DS and DD both liked the taste, I will say it was a very hearty stew and perfect to warm you up on a cold day. Made in honor of Papa D for the Papa D Cook-a-thon. We'll miss you!!
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- olive oil, as needed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 8 ounces tomato puree or 8 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons better than bouillon beef base
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 medium turnips, cut into chunks
- 5 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In large kettle or heavy stock pot, saute bacon until golden brown; remove and set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge meat in flour mixture and brown meat over high heat a few pieces at a time in bacon drippings and olive oil, remove and set aside.
- Add olive oil and saute onion until golden brown adding garlic at last minute.
- Add orange juice, wine, tomato puree, bouillon beef base, nutmeg, bay leaves and salt and pepper to taste stir to deglaze bottom of pan. Return bacon and browned meat to kettle, stir to combine and bring to a boil stirring occasionally, cover and reduce heat and simmer for 2 -3 hours.
- Add turnips, carrots and mushrooms, cover and simmer another 1 hour or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with noodles if desired.