1/1 Photo of Football Lovers Stew
3 hrs 30 mins
Papa D 1946-2012's Note:
When the weather turns nippy, warm up your insides with this stew. Very good. Found this on a calendar years ago. Potatoes can be a substitution for turnips. This also can be made in a crock pot, add all ingredients cover and cook on low for 6- 8 hours. Note: The beef base is a concentrated beef stock made by Superior Touch. Its in same location as bouillon cubes and I find it to have better flavor and not as salty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- olive oil, as needed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 8 ounces tomato puree or 8 ounces tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons better than bouillon beef base
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 medium turnips, cut into chunks
- 5 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1In large kettle or heavy stock pot, saute bacon until golden brown; remove and set aside.
- 2Combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge meat in flour mixture and brown meat over high heat a few pieces at a time in bacon drippings and olive oil, remove and set aside.
- 3Add olive oil and saute onion until golden brown adding garlic at last minute.
- 4Add orange juice, wine, tomato puree, bouillon beef base, nutmeg, bay leaves and salt and pepper to taste stir to deglaze bottom of pan. Return bacon and browned meat to kettle, stir to combine and bring to a boil stirring occasionally, cover and reduce heat and simmer for 2 -3 hours.
- 5Add turnips, carrots and mushrooms, cover and simmer another 1 hour or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 6Remove bay leaves and sprinkle with parsley.
- 7Serve with noodles if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Football Lovers Stew
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 580.6
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 146.6 mg
- Sodium 971.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 50.1 g