Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Nora Kelly, Rockford (Coosa County).
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce or 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (7 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- salt and pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup grated cheese
- In a skillet, brown beef in shortening. Add onion, tomatoes, ketchup, steak sauce and green pepper.
- Simmer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Combine meat mixture, macaroni and salt and pepper. Blend in soup.
- Pour into a greased 9- x 13-inch casserole. Top with cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Makes 6 servings.
Excellent!!!! This is one of my favorite's yet! I prepared a box Kraft Mac & Cheese and used in place of the plain pasta & sprinkled some chedder cheese on top as well. I also added a bit of minced garlic to the beef mixture. My bf & I ate almost the whole thing between the 2 of us- with 2 pieces of garlic bread each! A true keeper on our regular meal plan from now on. Yum, yum, yum!! Thank you for a great, easy, very tasty meal!!!
This was good. My husband, who dosen't care for macaroni really enjoyed it. The flavor was different and it seemed like there was something missing but can't quite figure out what. I did add a can of mushrooms. Maybe next time I'll try the worcestershire instead of the steak sauce and maybe a bit of sour cream??
This was very good! I did use more then 1 cup of cheese(cheddar) because I added some in the casserole as well. Extra veggies like mushrooms would taste great in this casserole.