Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the Syllabub blog at blogspot.com
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus more
- olive oil (for frying)
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped roughly
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, toasted
- 2 large dried ancho chiles, soaked 6-8 hrs, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 cup canned plum tomatoes, liquid reserved
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomatoes or 1⁄2 cup dried tomatoe
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (pimenton)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Heat half an inch of olive oil in sauté pan and fry bread, browning both sides.
- In a food processor, grind garlic, almonds and bread. Process until fine.
- Add the anchos, tomatoes and pimenton. Puree until smooth.
- Add vinegar and lemon juice and puree. While blending, drizzle in the olive oil.
- If texture isn’t loose enough, add some of the reserved tomato juice, or additional lemon juice. Season with salt.
- Eat with grilled vegetables such as green onions, asparagus or leeks, and grilled fish or chicken.