Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 44.37 ml yeast
- 118.29 ml warm water
- 1774.42 ml hot tap water
- 4258.62 ml whole wheat flour (or 12 cups whole wheat flour and 6 cups white flour)
- 236.59 ml oil
- 236.59 ml honey
- 44.37 ml salt
- 236.59 ml potato flakes or 236.59 ml oatmeal, for moisture
- Sprinkle yeast into 1/2 cup warm water, let stand 10-15 minutes. (Add 1 tsp sugar to help it work faster.
- Combine hot water and 10 cups whole wheat flour in mixer. Mix on low speed until well blended.
- Add salt, oil, and honey. Continue to mix until well blended.
- Add 2 more cups of wheat flour and oatmeal and/or potato flakes, blend thoroughly.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Add 6 cups white flour. Knead on low speed for 6 minutes. Add enough flour that the dough leaves the side of the bowl but is still a little sticky - the consistency of cookie dough.
- Oil hands and mold into 6 loaves on oiled counter. Place in oiled pans and let rise just to the top of the pans.
- Bake and 350 for 35-40 minutes Remove from pans to cool.
- Brush tops with butter.
- Notes: Sugar or molasses may be used instead of honey.
- Only let rise to tops of pans, it will rise more in the oven when baking. If it rises too much it will create an air bubble between the bread and the crust.
- Use smaller size pans, the bigger ones will not work as well.