Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
Old fashioned whole wheat recipe.
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast (I use 3TBS)
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 5 cups hot tap water
- 9 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups white flour
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup potato flakes or 2⁄3 cup oatmeal
- Sprinkle yeast into 1/2 cup warm water, let stand 10-15 minute (you can add 1 tsp sugar to help it work faster.
- combine hot water and 7 cups whole-wheat flour in mixer. Mix on low speed until well blended.
- Add salt, oil, and honey. Continue to mix until well blended.
- Add 1 more cup wheat flour and potato flakes or oatmeal. Add yeast mixture. (Can also use instant yeast without water). Blend thoroughly. -The oatmeal or potato flakes are to make a moister bread and can be omitted if you want.
- Add 3-4 cups white flour and knead on low speed for 6 minutes (add enough flour that the dough leaves the side of the bowl but is still a little sticky - the consistency of cookie dough.).
- -If using white wheat, there is no need to use white flour. If using red wheat, then definitely use the white flour for a lighter bread. I usually knead on low for 10 minutes.
- oil hands and mold into 4 loaves on oiled counter.
- Place in oiled pans (pam works too) and let rise just to the top of the pans. (if it rises too much it will create an air bubble underneath the crust).
- Bake at 350 for 35-40. -I tend to only bake for 30-35 minutes. Also, if you put a pan of water underneath your baking bread the bottoms will not burn.
- Remove from pans to cool.
- brush tops with butter.