Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is carried over from Foodnetwork.com, and is posted by Paula Deen (I love her). It is the easiest way to make a perfect Standing Prime Rib Roast. After a botched New Years Eve dinner one year, I decided to give this a try and have been using it ever since. This technique works no matter what size your roast may be. I've used the same time and temperature for a 2 lb (1 rib) roast and a 6 lb (4 rib) roast... and it always comes out perfectly. Enjoy! *Note: Cook time does not include the 3 hours that the oven is turned off.
- 1 -5 lb standing rib roast (I use a 2 1/2 lb)
- 1 tablespoon house seasoning (recipe follows)
- 1 cup salt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
- Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree F.
- Rub roast with ONLY 1 tablespoon of House Seasoning (See step #6). Place roast on a rack in a roasting pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up. Place a meat thermometer into the roast, but be sure that it is not touching the bones. Roast for 1 hour. uncovered.
- Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but DO NOT open oven door for the next 3 hours.
- About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. *Important: DO NOT remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.
- *Note: House Seasoning: Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. It makes a lot, but be sure to only use 1 tablespoon.