1/2 Photos of Foolproof Standing Prime Rib Roast (Paula Deen)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is from Paula Deen of Food TV and is what I fixed for Christmas Dinner 2005. I was tempted to open the oven to check how things were going, but I resisted...waiting until it had cooked 40 minutes at the final stage of cooking. I had a 9+ pound roast and the final temperature at that point was 129°F. It was wonderful! I'd definitely cook it the same way again. See Paula Deen's House Seasoning Mix for seasoning.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (5 lb) standing rib roast
Paula Deen House Seasoning (use 1 T)
- 1Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- 2Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 3Rub roast with House Seasoning; place roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up.
- 4Roast for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 2-3 hours. (I give a range because I have had roasts perfect to a bit over-cooked. I would check temperature after 2 hours--don't go over 125°F in final cooking cycle because it will rise another 10 degrees or so during resting phase).
- 5About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to 375°F and reheat the roast. Important: Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.
- 6Cover with foil and let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
- 7Note: I learned from a chef a trick for satisfying everyone with prime rib. Cook it rare. If anyone wants it done medium, dip their slice in a pot of simmering au jus for 1 minute.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Foolproof Standing Prime Rib Roast (Paula Deen)
Serving Size: 1 (5 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4.1
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2326.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
standing rib roast