Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mother in law gave me this handed down recipe as a welcome to the family gesture 20+ years ago and it's still the best one I've come across. It's the flakiest crust I've ever made and fairly easy too. Hope you enjoy!
- 946.36 ml flour
- 414.03 ml vegetable shortening
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml salt
- 14.79 ml vinegar
- 1 egg
- 118.29 ml water
- Mix together the flour, shortening, sugar and salt.
- Beat together the egg, vinegar and water.
- Combine the two mixtures and then chill for no less than 15 minutes.
- Divide dough in three for three 8 inch double crust pies or into two for two 9 inch double crust pies and roll out accordingly.
My mother gave me this recipe years 30+ years ago, and it hasn't failed me yet. Make sure you use all-purpose flour. I used bread flour once and it didn't roll out as well. My husband raves about my pies to everyone - he is in love with this crust!
I made this yesterday for my pumpkin pie recipe. This is the perfect pie crust, flaky, rich and bakes to a perfect golden color without getting too dark. Thank you for such a great recipe. This is the only pie crust recipe I'll ever use from here on out.
I love this pie crust... it is the exact recipe that my southern grandmother has always made. Thanks for posting- it is delicious!!!