Recipe by conniecooks
This is flaky, delicious, and easy to work with. Makes enough for 1 10 inch double crust
Top Review by omeomy #2
I'll be the first to admit that I'm no pastry chef, but this one worked for me! I did halve the recipe (so I got a little extra egg; I just cut back on the vinegar and water) and I used butter only. I blind baked it a little then filled it with Shepherd's Pie, complete with mashed potatoes (more butter!!!). I am really pleased with how well it turned out and I will make it again now that the weather has turned somewhat chilly because it rated good votes all round the table. Thank you Connie.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, ice cold cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, ice cold cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ice water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor bowl mix flour and salt.
- Add cubed shortening & butter.
- Pulse until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Transfer to another large bowl
- Mix egg, vinegar, and Ice water together.
- Quickly stir into flour mixture with a fork.
- Mix lightly(mixture may not come together very well).
- Put whole mixture in a plastic food storage bag.
- Gently through the plastic knead into a ball.
- This prevents the heat of your hands melting the shortening.
- Flatten into a disc shape.
- Keep in bag and chill 15 - 30 minutes.
- Cut in 1/2.
- Shape into a flattened circle.
- Always roll from the centre outwards.