1/1 Photo of Foolproof Impress Your In-Laws Onion Soup
Mary K. W.'s Note:
This is a recipe that I've had for years and once again have no idea where it came from. My family likes it better than any we've ever had in a restaurant. This is also great the second (or third) day. The amount of onions you use will depend on how strong you want the onion taste to be. In my opinion, you can have too much onion, so I usually tend to stay closer to the 3 cups rather than 5.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 709.77-1182.95 ml onions, thinly sliced
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 44.37 ml flour
- 3 (893.00 g) can beef broth
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 473.18 ml water
- 59.14 ml white wine or 59.14 ml sherry wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- onion salt, to taste
- French bread
- swiss cheese, shredded
- parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Separate sliced onions into rings and fry slowly in butter or margarine. When soft and brown, add flour and mix well.
- 2Cook for a few minutes; add beef broth, bouillon cubes, water, wine and seasonings.
- 3Cover and cook slowly 30 minutes.
- 4In individual soup crocks, place a small piece of french bread. Add a piece of swiss cheese, then hot soup. Add another small piece of bread and grated parmesean cheese.
- 5Place under broiler until cheese melts and browns slightly.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Foolproof Impress Your In-Laws Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.8
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 42.3 mg
- Sodium 1572.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 5.4 g