1/2 Photos of Foolproof Focaccia
Roxygirl in Colorado's Note:
This "light as a feather" bread is spongy and full of air holes, not leaden like many focaccias. Try it with BLT, fresh basil, sprinkled with vinaigrette for a fabulous sandwich or a bacon/egg. This dough also can be used for deep dish pizza crust. Recipe from "Cook's Illustrated".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and quartered (about 9 ounces)
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup warm water, 105-115 degrees
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1FOR THE DOUGH:.
- 2Boil potato in water and simmer until tender (about 25 minutes).
- 3Drain potato well and cool.
- 4Grate potato through large holes on box grater, fine disk on ricer or food processor.
- 5Reserve 1-1/3 cups lightly packed potato.
- 6Meanwhile, In food processor mix or pulse yeast, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup warm water until combined.
- 7Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place, until bubbly (about 20 minutes).
- 8Add remaining dough ingredients (including the remaining 3 cups flour), including reserved potato.
- 9Process dough for about 40 seconds until it's smooth and elastic.
- 10Transfer dough to lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat with oil and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- 11let rise in warm area until dough is puffy and doubled in volume (about an hour).
- 12With wet hands (to prevent sticking) press dough flat into oiled or sprayed with Pam 15 1/2 by 10 1/2 jelly roll pan (I sprinkle a little flour on top of dough and gently pat it into shape. I don't make it quite as large, since I like it really thick).
- 13Cover dough with lightly greased plastic wrap (dough will stick otherwise) and let rise in warm area, about 45 minutes to an hour, until dough is puffy and doubled.
- 14Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 15Adjust oven rack to lower middle position.
- 16With two wet fingers, dimple risen dough at regular intervals.
- 18Drizzle dough with oil, and sprinkle evenly with the rosemary, salt, landing some in pools of oil.
- 19Bake until focaccia bottom is golden and crisp, 23-25 minutes.
- 20Yields: one 15 1/2 by 10 1/2 inch rectangle or 2 8 inch rounds.
- 21*Note: focaccia can be kept on counter for several hours and reheated just before serving.
- 22Or, wrap cooled focaccia in plastic wrap, and then foil and freeze for up to 1 month (unwrap and defrost in 325°F oven until soft, about 15 minutes).
- 24Parmesan Focaccia: substitute 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese for the rosemary and coarse sea salt.
- 25Focaccia with Black Olives and Thyme: substitute 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave and 24 pitted large black olives (one per oil-filled dimple) for rosemary.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Foolproof Focaccia
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.1
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 389.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 4.1 g