Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
With Variations....My mother in law always sends us various flavors of fudge for Christmas. The package can get prety expensive so she gave me the recipes so I could make them myself.
- 3 (6 ounce) packages semi-sweet chocolate chips (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2-1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt chips with Eagle Brand® and salt. Remove from heat; stir in nuts and vanilla.
- Spread evenly into wax paper lined 8x8 or 9x9 inch square pan. Chill 2 hours or until firm.
- Turn fudge onto cutting board; peel off paper and cut into squares. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
- Notes: Microwave: In 1 quart glass measure, combine chips with Eagle Brand® and salt. Cook on 100% power (high) 3 minutes or until chips melt, stirring after each 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Proceed as above.
- Creamy Dark Chocolate Fudge: Melt 2 cups miniature marshmallows with chips and Eagle Brand. Proceed as above.
- Milk Chocolate Fudge: Omit 1 (6 ozs.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips. Add 1 cup milk chocolate chips. Proceed as above.
- Rocky Road Fudge: Omit 1 (6 ozs.) package semi-sweet chocolate chips, salt, nuts, and vanilla. In saucepan, melt chips with Eagle Brand and 2 tablespoons margarine or butter. In large bowl, combine 2 cups dry-roasted peanuts and 1 (10 1/2 ozs.) package miniature marshmallows. Stir in chocolate mixture. Spread in wax paper-lined 13x9x2 inch pan. Proceed as above.
This is the only way I make fudge. I don't like even the stuff from candy stores. I was going to try the marshmallow version and forgot. Will try next time. Great directions - I used microwave. My 9 yo did most of it. I love the idea of lining the pan and lifting it out after chilled. Easy to handle and no pan to clean! LOL
This same recipe was in our paper last night, and I thought I would try it. I was going to post it, and saw you already did. And so glad you did! This fudge is a breeze to make, and the taste is so smooth and rich. I used the mini chocolate chips, and omitted the nuts, don't care for them in fudge. My boys keep going back for more. I think I will make some more and give for Valentine gifts. Thanks so much for posting.