Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've been using this recipe for 35 years and it turns out perfect every time. No need to worry about curdling the sour cream. Serve this over noodles or dumplings.
- 2 frying chicken, cut up
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- NOTE:I use 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves to serve 6 because we like extra sauce.
- Shake chicken in flour, salt, and pepper in a plastic bag.
- Coat well.
- Save remaining flour for gravy.
- Brown chicken, part at a time, in butter and oil in Dutch oven.
- Remove chicken when browned, pour off drippings, and return 1 tablespoonful to kettle.
- Stir in onion and sauté until soft.
- Add water, instant chicken broth , and paprika.
- Scraping brown bits from bottom of kettle, heat to boiling.
- Return chicken to kettle, cover, and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to shallow pan and reheat broth to boiling.
- Measure 2 tablespoons of saved flour and add water to make paste.
- Stir into broth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and boils 1 minute.
- Blend sour cream and whipping cream in a small bowl and stir into gravy.
- Return chicken and reheat slowly to boiling.
- Serve over noodles or dumplings.
I've made this and other better reviewed recipes. I will from now on only make this one as it is the best if you ask me.
This was an great recipe. So simple... just like my mother used to make with common ingredients she always had on hand. This recipe is as good as hers (and she's Hungarian). I made the recipe as written and now that I've made it, I would NOT change a thing. Thanks so much for this genuine keeper.
Very easy and quick to make and yet it didn't lose any of it's flavor. I used chicken tenders therefore it cooked faster than if I had used chicken breasts. Served over noodles with a side of peas and carrots. Made a great week night meal. Made for Dec 2010 Aus/NZ Swap.