You can make this up to a week ahead; cover airtight and chill. Before using, let it come to room temperature and beat briefly at medium speed to restore texture. For interesting variations, replace vanilla with 2 to 3 tablespoons of liqeur, 6 ounces melted bittersweet chocolate, or up to 1/2 cup strained jam of any flavor. This recipe is from Sunset magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In mixer bowl at high speed, beat egg yolks until pale yellow, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 2Butter a 2-cup glass measuring cup (you will need it for the next step--so butter it now).
- 3In a 2- to 3-quart pan, combine sugar and corn syrup.
- 4Cook over medium-high heat and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a rolling boil.
- 5Immediately pour into the butter glass measuring cup.
- 6Beating constantly at medium speed, pour syrup in a thin, steady stream into egg yolks (avoiding beaters).
- 7Continue beating until mixture is at room temperature (7 to 10 minutes).
- 8Add butter and vanilla.
- 9Beat just until smooth.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Foolproof Buttercream Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (902 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1349.0
- Calories from Fat 1017
- Total Fat 113.0 g
- Saturated Fat 69.4 g
- Cholesterol 638.5 mg
- Sodium 59.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 57.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g