Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Traditional breakfast in the middle east. This is my mom's recipe, my (and my husband's) favorite. You can make it at night and heat the next morning, keeps well in the fridge. I do not use oil to cook the onions, to lower the fat, and it tastes just as good!
- Heat oil, add onion and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, spices and salt, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add fava beans, and mash it on low heat.
- You can mash it finely or leave some fava beans whole.
- Cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with pita bread.
- You can drizzle some olive oil, tahini, lemon, or a combination on it before serving.
- I like hot chili peppers as well.