This recipe was adapted by my mother and myself from meat chili. We fed it to my dad and only told him afterwards it wasn't meat - he couldn't tell the difference! This is a fast and filling meal and is even better, cold or warm, the next day! I serve leftovers with tortilla chips or in a wrap. Also good with sour cream and/or cheese on top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 package yves ground round vegetarian ground beef, original flavour or 1 1/2 cups rehydrated textured vegetable protein
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapenos or 1 habaneros or 1 chili pepper (optional)
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 (19 ounce) cans kidney beans (red or white)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1Rehydrate TVP if needed.
- 2Spray or oil a large pot.
- 3Chop the onion, hot peppers (if using- it is best to wear rubber gloves when cutting the hot ones!), and garlic and add to the pot.
- 4Chop remaining vegetables, add to pot and brown lightly.
- 5Add remaining ingredients; stir well and simmer at least 15 minutes.
- 6Taste (This is important!) Adjust spices to taste.
- 7Simmer an additional 15 minutes or so.
- 8Serve with garlic bread, toast, or on rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "Fool the Meat Eaters" Chili
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 295.6
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1845.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.0 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 16.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian ground beef