Kiwi Kathy's Note:
Generally, even the mayonnaise varieties that claim on the front label to be "made with olive oil" are actually made with a blend of oils that includes olive oil but is primarily comprised of other oils (e.g., soy or canola) which are not mentioned on the front label. With the recipe included here, you will know with absolute certainty which ingredients you are consuming, and you will be using ingredients that actually contribute to your health such as, raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar, raw honey, and flax seed. The first key to foolproof mayonnaise is to use a stick blender (or immersion blender) and the accompanying mixing cup. If you are accustomed to making mayo in a regular upright blender, then you will appreciate that the stick blender method does not wear out your arm by requiring you to drizzle oil into the mayo in a slow, steady stream. The other key to fool-proof mayo is to use a recipe like this one that is based on a mixture of flax meal and water, rather than eggs. This mayo will likely have a slightly green hue from the grapeseed oil, and specks of flax meal will also be visible in the finished product. Grapeseed oil adds a fairly neutral flavor to mayonnaise. If you substitute extra virgin olive oil or any other stronger tasting oil, you may wish to increase the amount of honey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour oil into the immersion blender cup. Add all other ingredients.
- 2Place blender into the cup. With the blade resting flat on the bottom of the cup, blend the mixture for a few seconds until it no longer incorporates.
- 3Tilt the blender or lift it a bit to allow more oil to flow into the blade as you continue mixing.
- 4Blend until no more oil incorporates.
- 5Total blending time is about 15 seconds. Don't worry if a bit of oil on the top doesn't incorporate. Simply remove the blender, and use a spoon to stir it inches.
- 6Cover and store in the fridge.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fool-Proof Mayonnaise
Serving Size: 1 (24 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.2
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 58.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 0.1 g