From Saad Fayed, Fool nabed is an Egyptian soup made from fava beans. It is warm and filling. Serve alone or as an appetizer. Times do not include overnight soaking of favas.
- Soak fava beans overnight.
- Drain fava beans and save water.
- Peel the skins from the fava beans and place the beans in large saucepan.
- Measure 6 cups of soaking water and add to the fava beans.
- Bring to a boil on medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 45 minutes, or until beans are soft.
- Once beans are tender, remove beans from heat and puree in a blender.
- Return pureed fava beans to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add water if needed.
- Stir in cumin, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and bring to a second boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve in a bowl and sprinkle parsley on top.