Recipe by Annisette
Time does not include allowing the beans to soak overnight or time spent chilling. Posted for Zaar World Tour 2006. You can use the pink Egptian lentils if you want an authentic dish. This can be served on lettuce lined salad plates and garnished with scallions.
Top Review by Chef Nourshe
With all due respect but I lived in Egypt for more than 13 years,and there is a big difference in Fool Medammes and lentils. Fool medammes are actually fava beans. Lentils are called Adz.(I dont know if the spelling is right.) No hard feelings though.
- 1 cup dried pink lentils or 1 cup white beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- romaine lettuce or other lettuce
- 2 -3 scallions, cut into 3-inch lengths
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2 quart bowl soak the beans overnight in enough water to cover.
- Drain the beans.
- Place the beans in a 1 quart saucepan and cover with 3 cups water.
- Add salt and cook for about 1 hour, or until the skins split.
- Drain and chill.
- Add salt, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Arrange lettuce on salad plates. Place 1/4 cup of the bean mixture on each plate. Garnish each serving with scallions.