Recipe by Sass Smith
This is a popular breakfast and lunch food across the Middle East, but especially in Egypt. I like to heap it on toast for breakfast or spoon a little into a pita with some tahini for lunch. It's ridiculously easy, and freezes really well if you can't eat it all at once. Very versatile, it can be a side dish or a main dish, and if you can get your kids to try it, fool makes a great comfort food.
- 1 (15 ounce) can fava beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir all ingredients together in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, occasionally mashing the beans with the back of a large spoon.
- If the fool is being served for lunch, you might want to throw a little cayenne pepper or some diced chiles at this point.
- It's ready when the texture is somewhere between a soup and a paste - serve hot.