Recipe by FoodWorks
There's nothing tastier than pasta sauce made from scratch with love. Our sauce has much less sodium and just 1 tsp of added sugar, unlike many canned sauces. Best of all, you can mix in 2 cups of finely chopped veggies and you won't even notice them! <br> PROTIP: Garlic is your friend.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onions or 1 small onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, chopped finely. Try mushrooms, spinach, kale, peppers, leeks, and grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree or 4 large tomatoes, pureed in a food processor
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop vegetables and mince garlic.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add vegetables and garlic and sautee for 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar, sugar, basil, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes.
- Add can of tomatoes, and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Once it boils, reduce to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese before serving.
- Serve over 1 box or package of noodles.
- TIP: To add ground beef, cook it in skillet first until there's no pink in the middle of chunks. Drain off the liquids, then proceed to step 3.