Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From foodandwine.com: The traditional Portuguese kale and potato soup inspired this delicious country-style dish. It's especially welcome in the winter months when kale is at its peak. An interesting bread completes this meal with aplomb. Try corn bread or tomato-topped Italian focaccia. A good crusty loaf of white bread will do fine, too.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 lb turkey or 1 lb chicken sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, cut into thin slices
- 1 quart water
- 2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups homemade stock
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
- 1 lb kale, stems removed, leaves shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1. In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the sausage and cook, turning, until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pot and, when it is cool enough to handle, cut it into slices. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from the pan.
- 2. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
- 3. Add the water, broth, and salt and bring the soup to a boil. Add the sausage, potatoes, and red-pepper flakes and bring back to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, for 2 minutes. Add the kale and bring the soup back to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, until the potatoes and kale are tender, about 6 minutes longer. Add the black pepper.
This was a surprise hit in my house. I wanted a recipe to use some kale and add some green to our dinner and this was a perfect choice. Almost no leftovers (unfortunately for me!)
This was way better than I expected! I had some leftover kale that I wanted to use before it went bad, and it was a cooler night so I searched for soup with kale and decided on this one - it was fantastic! The kale was not too bitter and was a nice compliment to the sweet italian turkey sausage that I used. Easy to make and it good for leftovers the next day - thanks!!