Recipe by CookingMonster
My mom swears by this pie crust. I personally haven't tried this one, but have tasted hers and watched her make it. It is easy and always turns out.
Top Review by Genie Lorene
I made this last night and was really impressed. When I didn't get the "coarse meal" texture I was really worried. And as I steadily poured the water in I was even more worried, then suddenly it began to form the ball of dough (more like a cylinder of dough in my processor) and it was perfect. I used butter instead of margarine. My only complaint is that it was far too salty. I think half or less of the salt would have worked fine. I was using this for a savory dish so didn't use the sugar. I'm not a baker though so maybe I should have used the sugar anyway, I have no idea. Regardless, it came out extremely well, rolled out well, held together well, and baked up very nicely. Thank you and thank your Mom!
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold margarine (must be very cold)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
Directions See How It's Made
- With chopping blade, put all ingredients except water in bowl of food processor.
- (Margarine should be cut into small cubes, and put in separately.)
- Process until mixture is consistency of coarse meal(5-10 seconds).
- With machine running, pour water steadily and slowly through feed tube. You may not need all the ice water.
- A ball of dough will form above blade (30-50 seconds).
- Remove from food processor.
- Use immediately or chill for later use.
- Makes two 8-inch pie crusts.