Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
This pie crust is very tender and buttery. The recipe makes two 9-inch pie crusts. Note: Preparation time includes time required for pie dough to chill.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 4 -6 tablespoons water, iced
Directions See How It's Made
- Using chopping blade of your food processor, properly position the blade and place all ingredients except ice water in processor bowl. Pulse for 3-4 seconds at a time until mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs.
- With processor running, drizzle water one tablespoon at a time until mixture pulls away from the processor bowl and forms a loose ball.
- Gently shape dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- Cut dough in half and form each half into a ball. Onto a lightly floured surface, gently roll one half of dough out to two inches larger than the pie plate.
- Roll dough onto rolling pin and move to pie plate, being careful not to tear during transfer. If baking a filled pie, repeat process for top crust. Bake per pie filling instructions. Pie crust should turn out golden brown.
- Note: If baking two empty pie shells, pierce pie crust which has been formed to pie plate generously with a fork and bake at 425 F for 12 minutes or until golden brown.