These muffins are mixed up entirely in the food processor, although I did have to give them a final stir by hand to mix in some unincorporated flour. They are are absolutely delicious and freeze well.
- 3⁄4 cup pitted dates, loosely separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 orange, unpeeled, cut into 8 pieces and seeded
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Toss the dates with 1/2 cup of the all-purpose flour.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process the mixture until evenly chopped.
- Add the orange and process until finely chopped.
- Add the orange juice, eggs and butter and process until blended.
- Stir together the whole wheat flour, remaining all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the date mixture and process just until moistened but not overmixed.
- Spoon into large greased for paper-lined muffin cups, filling three-quarters full.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops are firm to the touch.