Recipe by Tish
This is a soft and delicate loaf of bread. You have to love the smell of fresh bread when you walk into a kitchen. Posted in response to a request.
- 1 package fast rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup melted shortening
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Combine milk, 1/4 cup water, shortening, honey, salt and wheat flour in food processor or bowl.
- Mix in yeast mixture, and let rest 15 minutes.
- Add white flour, and process until dough forms a ball.
- Knead dough by processing an additional 80 seconds in food processor, or mix and knead by hand 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a buttered bowl, and turn to coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise for 45 minutes, or until almost doubled.
- Punch down, and divide dough in half.
- Roll out each half, and pound out the bubbles.
- Form into loaves, and place in buttered 9x5 inch bread pans.
- Butter the tops of the dough, and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in a warm area until doubled; second rise should take about 30 minutes.
- Place a small pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until tops are dark golden brown.
- Butter crusts while warm.
- Slice when cool.