Recipe by beckyd52890
This recipe is delicious, I made it for my very critical parents, who never like anything I make, just because they don't like anything new... but even they loved it!!!! it's the best spaghetti & meatballs I've ever had!
- 1⁄3 cup bulgur
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 4 ounces lean ground beef
- 4 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
spaghetti sauce and spaghetti noodles
- 4 cups spaghetti sauce (your favorite flavor)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf (or chopped fresh parsley)
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles (whole-wheat preferably) or 1 lb linguine (whole-wheat preferably)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1 ounce romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare meatballs: Combine bulgur and water in a small bowl. Let stand until the bulgur is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a rack with cooking spray and place it over a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Combine ground beef, sausage, onion, egg whites, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs and the soaked bulgur in a large bowl; mix well. Form the mixture into 1-inch meatballs (about 24). Place the meatballs on the rack and bake for 25 minutes. Blot well with paper towel.
- To prepare sauce & spaghetti: Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil. Bring sauce to a simmer in a pan. Add the sauce to meatballs and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in basil (or parsley).
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti (or linguine) until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with the sauce and meatballs and serve with grated cheese.