Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 hrs 10 mins
From the Food Network. An absolutely delicious way to prepare a moist flavorful turkey. The actual cooking time for me for the turkey was about an hour and a half. the cooking time includes the marinading time. Make sure you have an accurate working thermometer as it will quickly overcook. Also I didn't have corinader seeds. I went with 2 Tablespoons of ground coriander. This is my go to recipe for turkey from now on. May even try it with a chicken!
For the turkey
- 1 1⁄4 cups kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup coriander seed, cracked
- 3 star anise pods
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 3 inches unpeeled piece ginger, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 12 lbs turkey, butterflied (ask your butcher to do this)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
For the glaze
- 3 cups apple cider
- 2 inches unpeeled piece ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries or 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1 -3 dried hot red chili pepper
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- kosher salt
- 2 -4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- Prepare the turkey a day or two before roasting: Bring 3 quarts water, the salt, brown sugar, coriander seeds, star anise, peppercorns, ginger and garlic to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar.
- Remove from the heat and add 4 cups cold water; cool to room temperature. Place the turkey in a large container, pour the brine over it, cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove the turkey, dry it well and pat all over with the ground coriander. Let dry in the refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Make the glaze: Bring the cider, ginger, cranberries, chiles, molasses and vinegar to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until thick, whisking occasionally, about 30 minutes. Strain the glaze and season with salt.
- Preheat the oven to 375º. Place the turkey breast-side up on a rack in a roasting pan and roast 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 155º to 160º. Continue roasting, brushing with the glaze every 10 minutes, until brown and crisp, about 30 more minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 15 minutes before carving. Alternatively, grill the turkey: Preheat a grill to medium on one side. Place the turkey breast-side up on the cooler side of the grill (position a drip pan under the grate), cover and cook until 165º, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Brush with the glaze and grill, uncovered, 10 more minutes.
- Heat the remaining glaze with any pan drippings in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the butter. Carve the turkey and serve with the extra glaze.