Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love Fontina cheese. I don't remember where I got this from, but I tweaked the original recipe to suit my taste buds.
- Cook pasta until just done. Don't overcook. Drain and place in large bowl.
- Over medium heat in medium sized pot melt the butter.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until just browned.
- Stir in the flour and cook for approx 3 minutes or until the bitter taste of the flour is gone. Do not brown.
- Add the hot milk and cook until just thickened.
- Add the seasonings to your taste.
- Combine the sauce with 2 cups of the cheese until melted. Add to pasta in bowl and mix.
- Spray a large casserole dish with non stick coating and pour in the pasta mixture. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until bubbling.
This is perfect for the cheese and mushroom lover. I halved the recipe as it was just 2 of us, but next time I will make full recipe for leftovers. Yummy..... Will make again, thanks for sharing :)
This was a hit at my house tonight... even my "eat like a bird" daughter went back for seconds! I did "doctor this up" a bit, but I'm sure it's yummy as written. I added about 1/4 lb of bacon, cooked 'til crisp and used about 4 1/2 cups of milk, and a full pound of penne. When the mushrooms were sauteeing, I sprinkled them with a little garlic powder, and chopped up a couple of fresh sage leaves and threw those in (maybe 2 tsp). I stirred the sauce into the pasta, mixed in the bacon and baked it 'til bubbly. I can't wait to have the leftovers tomorrow for lunch!
This was a GREAT side dish. Have also made it with Havarti cheese. Thanks for posting this wonderful pasta dish. It is wonderful served with PanNan's Pork Cutlets With Balsamic Sauce.