Recipe by Lori Mama
I love Fontina cheese. I don't remember where I got this from, but I tweaked the original recipe to suit my taste buds.
Top Review by queenbeatrice
This is perfect for the cheese and mushroom lover. I halved the recipe as it was just 2 of us, but next time I will make full recipe for leftovers. Yummy..... Will make again, thanks for sharing :)
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk, hot
- 4 cups pasta, such as penne, ziti, rigatoni etc
- 3 cups Fontina cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta until just done. Don't overcook. Drain and place in large bowl.
- Over medium heat in medium sized pot melt the butter.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until just browned.
- Stir in the flour and cook for approx 3 minutes or until the bitter taste of the flour is gone. Do not brown.
- Add the hot milk and cook until just thickened.
- Add the seasonings to your taste.
- Combine the sauce with 2 cups of the cheese until melted. Add to pasta in bowl and mix.
- Spray a large casserole dish with non stick coating and pour in the pasta mixture. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until bubbling.