Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you like peppers, this recipe is for you. The roasting brings out a lot of sweetness that contrasts well with the creamy cheese in the salad. I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site.
- 6 yellow bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 lb Fontina cheese, cut into 1 1/2 inch matchsticks (from Val d'Aosta)
- 1⁄2 cup green olives, coarsely chopped
- Roast the whole peppers over a gas flame, turning until completely charred.
- Put in a bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, heavy cream, mustard, salt, and a couple of grinds of pepper.
- Whisk together until emulsified.
- Set aside.
- Peel the skin from the peppers and discard the cores, seeds, and membranes.
- Cut the peppers into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
- In a large bowl, combine the peppers, cheese, olives, and cream mixture.
- Toss together.
- Serve at room temperature.
Melt in the mouth wonderful. I used gouda cheese, as I could not find fontina. I will make this again after I master the fine art of pepper charring.
Wow. I really wasn't sure if this was going to be good. I should have known better! It is Mean Chef after all... I had the fontina, I had the peppers, I had the desire to cook! Luckily, I also have a gas stove so those peppers blackened up nicely ;) (I prepped those the night before). I served this with your recipe #102091 Chicken Breasts alla Margherita. It was perfect for a fairly quick and scrumptious meal that was nowhere near as difficult to make for how impressive it looked. I wish I had a digital camera so I could have posted how lovely it all looked plated up. If you haven't tried this, do!