Recipe by Mercy
The cooking time is actually the fondant chilling time.
Top Review by ladydawn
Thank you for posting this recipe! I remember it from my childhood, but had never seen anyone else make it since. The fondant was super simple to make. This would be a pretty addition to a cookie tray for the holidays too.
- 4 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract or 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 48 pitted dates
- food coloring (red and green for holiday colors)
- granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For the fondant, blend together the sugar, condensed milk and flavorings.
- Knead the fondant until very smooth and creamy.
- Add the finely chopped pecans.
- Divide mixture into three separate bowls and tint one pale green, one pink and leave the other white.
- Cover the bowls with damp cloth and refrigerate overnight.
- Fill each date with fondant and roll in the granulated sugar.