For my 46th birthday my husband treated me to a one-evening cooking course. It must have been one of the most enjoyable evenings I've ever had. This recipe is from that course. There were 16 of us in the course and we all fought over who got to lick the bowl. I've seen lots of recipes for lava cakes, but this one is slightly different because of the chocolate pieces placed in the middle of the batter. In the course we used 70% dark chocolate, but someone came up with the idea of using white chocolate for a lovely contrast. I can't wait to try it that way at home.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease individual muffin tins. We used brown paper casings specially made for this dessert. I'm sure you can get them at baking supplies stores.
- 2Melt the chocolate and the butter together either in the microwave or on top of a double boiler.
- 3In a mixer bowl place the eggs, egg yolks the sugar and the vanilla essence.
- 4Beat for 7 minutes on high speed until very light, very creamy and probably doubled in volume.
- 5Lower the speed of the mixer and slwly add the chocolate/butter melty mixture. Mix until the two heady masses have been combined.
- 6Turn off the mixer.
- 7Add the flour and mix in slowly with a spatula. Try mixing in a Figure 8 pattern, that worked wonderfully in the course.
- 8Fill the casings until 3/4 full.
- 9Put two chocolate buttons deep into the middle of the batter.
- 10Place in the fridge for at least two hours, even longer is better.
- 11Preheat the oven to 190 degrees centigrade.
- 12Bake the cakelets for 9 minutes or until a crust has formed on the top, but the center is still fondanty and gooey and chocolately.
- 13Serve warm with Quick Pear Marmalade (Quick Pear Marmalade) either drizzled on top or on the side.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fondant Chocolate Lava Cakelets
Serving Size: 1 (113 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.9
- Calories from Fat 428
- Total Fat 47.6 g
- Saturated Fat 28.3 g
- Cholesterol 295.7 mg
- Sodium 220.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dark chocolate melts