Recipe by cookiedog
The brown sugar and soy sauce cook down creating a sticky sauce on these cute little chicken packets. From Sunset April 2008. These should be made at least an hour ahead of time to allow time to marinate.
Top Review by TattooedMamaof2
MMmm yummy! I love this recipe! A few changes; I used chicken breasts (one in each packet), grated my ginger and omitted the dark soy sauce. It came out perfect and tender.
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (regular)
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and cut into thinnest possible slivers
- 1 lb chicken thigh pieces, boned and skinned and cut into bite-size pieces and strips
- 2 green onions, cut into 2-in . lengths and then into slivers
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, dark soy sauce, and ginger. Add chicken, toss to coat, cover, and chill for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lay out 8 pieces of aluminum foil, 6 to 8 inches long each. Put 1/8 of the marinated chicken in the middle of each. Top chicken with green onions and sprinkle with pepper. Fold 1 side of foil over the chicken to cover it, fold opposite side of foil over first fold, and then fold in each end once to seal and create a little packet.
- Lay packets on a foil- or parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet (packets will leak while cooking, and the marinade is difficult to clean up once it cooks onto a pan). Bake until chicken is cooked through and marinade is reduced and starting to caramelize in each packet, 45 to 60 minutes. Serve hot or warm.