Prep 10 mins
Cook 34 mins
These are magnificient in spring!! but why wait for spring, I do these all year round, in winter I use shallots and small peeled packaged fresh carrots and imported asparagus, especially when we're looking for that "spring feeling",sometimes longed for in the middle of a cold spell. It's worth the little extra cost! Originally from Smart Cooking by Anne Lindsay.
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch pearl onions for 2 minutes, drain.
- Cut off root end and gently squeeze to remove skin.
- In another large pot of boiling water, blanch carrots for 2 minutes, drain and rinse under cold running water, drain again.
- Snap tough ends from asparagus.
- On large piece of heavy duty foil, arrange veggies in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with water, dot with butter and add bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Fold foil over veggies and seal.
- Bake in 375 oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until veggies are tender.
Can't believe I haven't tried this. The technique is very adaptable and this particular combination of veggies and seasonings was great. I'm going to use this often; very quick to do and can't beat the cleanup.
This was great. I used red pearl onions and added cremimi mushrooms then cooked it on the bbq. I'll be using this technique more frequently.