Recipe by DrGaellon
From chef Jamie Oliver's show "Jamie at Home," episode "Carrots and Beets."
Top Review by geologychick
This recipe is simple as simple gets! My 6 year old and 1 /12 year old LOVED it... not to mention the hubby - he LOVED it, too! YUM! I added other root veggies, too! Spectacular!!! Thanks, Jamie!
- 1 lb whole beet, with leaves removed and retained
- 4 large rosemary sprigs
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
Directions See How It's Made
- Tear a large square of heavy duty aluminum foil. Place half the beet leaves on the foil. Pile beets and rosemary on the leaves, then cover with the remaining leaves. Wrap foil tightly around beets. Prick package all over with the tip of a small knife.
- Bury the package in hot coals on your grill (or place in a 500 degree oven) for 40 minutes or until tender. Test by poking with the tip of knife; if it slides into the center and then out again without sticking, they're done.
- Discard rosemary and beet leaves. Peel away any very burned areas on the beetroots. Cut into bite sized chunks. Roll parsley and tarragon together and shred into chiffonade. Dress beets with vinegar, salt, pepper, olive oil, tarragon and parsley. Serve with medium-rare steaks.