1/3 Photos of Foil Baked Asparagus
Miss Dipsy's Note:
A very simple method of cooking asparagus, where they are wrapped in foil and baked, with nothing but a little butter and salt. So easy and yet so delicious!! My 2 1/2 year old daughter liked it too! I've only tried this once and I followed the recipe exactly as set out, but I'd like to try it again, perhaps putting a few sprigs of herbs in with it. You could also try herb butter instead of ordinary butter. You can omit the salt if you like. If you are making larger quantities you might need to make more than one "parcel". You could even wrap each portion separately and serve them in the foil wrappers - I ate mine straight out of the foil, and I think it made them even nicer as they're still steaming hot and in their cooking juices, and you can keep all that flavour and aroma trapped in the parcel until you're ready to eat it! Would make a really good starter served like this. Although I suppose it depends what kind of guests you've got - if they're used to silver platters they might not be so impressed with silver foil!! But I would be! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 180 C (360 F).
- 2Prepare asparagus by snapping the lower "woody" part of the stem off (if it snaps cleanly you've got the right place; if it is difficult to break try higher up!), and peel the lower section if they're a bit old or thick.
- 3Tear off a large enough piece of aluminium foil to wrap around the bunch of asparagus securely, and place asparagus in foil.
- 4Dot with butter and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- 5Wrap securely, and then wrap an extra strip of foil around the tip end to protect it.
- 6Bake in oven for 25-35 mins, depending on the thickness and age of the asparagus (Mine were done in 30 and I'd say they were fairly average sized).
- 7Try to wait until you're ready to serve before you unwrap them, or better still, serve them still wrapped in the foil.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Foil Baked Asparagus
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.8
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 115.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 2.5 g