Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
Authentic Foccacia recipe
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large potato, peeled boiled and mashed
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package fast rising yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 (28 ounce) canpeeled plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Combine first four ingredients in mixing bowl and mix well.in separate bowl add water,honey,and 1 tbs oil whisk together add yeast and allow to bloom.Add liquid to dry mixture and mix well,knead for 5 minutes and allow to rise 1 hour.roll dough to fit 13X9 pan(a stone ware pan is best if you don't have one a dark pan will work)coat pan with half the remaining olive oil and lay dough into pan,cover with damp towel and let rise for 1 hour.Make dimples in dough with your fingers put pieces of tomatoes in the dimples drizzle bal.of oil over top sprinkle with salt and cheese.Let the foccacia rest while oven preheats to 375 place on rack in middle of oven,bake 35-45 min.This can be enjoyed hot out of the oven or allowed to cool on a rack and sliced to make sandwiches.
This is one awesome recipe,DH even had good things to say about it and he doesn't say much without being asked. It went together so easy and pretty quick for a yeast bread. I was a little concerned about the tomtoes in it but it set it off perfect. Next time, and there will be many next times I might even add oregano and basil to the dough mix. This is easy to make, taste great and looks very special everything a good recipe needs. Made for PAC Fall 2011
Impressed-could hardly stop from eating it all up! Easy, versatile, delicious. I reduced to half-added 1 tablespoon of dried Italian seasoning to dough before rising. I did not use all the tomatoes, salt, or oil as recipe states for topping. Shredded my parmesan right over the dough. Should drain your tomatoes during that rising. Jalapeno or caramelized onion would be good on top. Made for Fall PAC 2011. Thank you venom59.
Turned out FABULOUS & I did the dough in the trusty 20 yo Panasonic bread machine. Baked in a pan dusted with coarse corn meal & topped with shaved Parmesan, Romano, vidalia onion & red pepper shreds. Will use again & again - today am making but subbing in a cup of semolina flour for some of the AP flour. Will use the ww dough option & perhaps a bit more water.