Recipe by Dr. Jenny
I have not tried this yet, but it looks right up my alley. This recipe is from Williams-Sonoma Easy Entertaining. The recipe description says for variation, you can substitute pesto for the eggplant spread. Other cheeses, such as smoked fontina or pepper jack are also nice. The recipe also work well when grilled in a panini-style sandwich press. The recipe says it serves 8, but it looks like you can serve bigger slices for a lunch sandwich for fewer people.
- 1 focaccia bread, about 7 by 12 inches
- 1 (7 -8 ounce) container baba ghanoush (or other roasted eggplant spread)
- 1⁄2 lb havarti cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained and julienned
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- On a cutting board, using a serrated knife, cut the focaccia in half horizontally. Spread the baba ghanoush evenly over the cut side of the bottom half of the focaccia. Top with a layer of cheese, followed by a layer of arugula, and then the sun-dried tomatoes. Season with pepper. Cover with the top half of the focaccia, cut side down.
- Cut the sandwich into 8 equal portions. Place each portion in a waxed-paper bag and seal the bag with an adhesive label. Refrigerate until serving, up to 4 hours.