Recipe by Lizzie in NZ
This is a light, delicate bread, topped with caramelized onions and cheese. Cubed ham makes a tasty addition. The dough for the bread is made in the ABM. Note: My ABM is older and takes 2 1/2 hours for the dough cycle and is included in the preparation time.
Top Review by jane49423
This was great. I cut it in half because of the size of my bread maker. It made enough for 4 for a dinner with a salad. I used co-jack cheese, because that's what I had around. Thanks for a great recipe!
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons gluten flour
- 1 1⁄3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (luke warm)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 medium onions (cut into rings)
- 3⁄4 cup cubed ham
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the ingredients into your ABM in the order specified for your machine. Set it on the dough cycle.
- When the dough cycle has beeped, LEAVE the dough in the machine for another 30 minutes. It will continue to rise again.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C Grease a 9 1/2 x 13 1/2 x 1/2 inch pan with some cooking spray or a little olive oil.
- Tip out your dough onto a lightly floured work area and roll into a rectangle to fit baking pan. You will hear all the air bubbles popping as you roll.
- Once the air bubbles are gone, place in pan, patting it into the corners.
- Leave to rise for 15-20 minutes. While dough is rising prepare topping.
- Melt butter in a large skillet and sauté the onion rings on medium heat until golden and caramelized, about 6-8 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly. Have your ham cubed and cheese grated and set aside. Now back to the dough.
- Make indentations with forefinger approximately 1 inch apart all over dough.
- Place caramelized onions evenly over dough. Scatter the ham over, and then sprinkle the cheese on top. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and coarsely ground black pepper.
- Bake at 190 degrees C for 15-18 minutes.