Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
A wonderful recipe from Napa Style. Blue cheese and honey....mmmmmmm!!
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 2 cups whole milk, heated to lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups blue cheese, crumbled for topping
- 2 tablespoons honey, to drizzle for topping
- In a large bowl, or the work bowl of an electric mixer dissolve yeast in the milk.
- Add sugar and 1 cup of the flour.
- Mix well and let stand in a warm place about 15 min for the yeast to activate.
- Mix another 2 1/2 cups of flour into the yeast mixture with the dough hook attachment until smooth.
- With the machine running, add 1 cup and knead for 6 minute.
- Turn out onto a board and lightly knead in remaining 1/2 cup flour, if needed.
- The dough should remain rather wet to ensure a soft and light bread.
- Shape the dough into a ball and put it in a oiled bowl.
- Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 20 minute.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Press dough with your fingers to gently stretch dough to fit in the pan.
- Then use a rolling pin to lightly flatten.
- Oil an 11x17-inch baking sheet with 1/3 cup olive oil. Line with parchment paper and brush the paper with oil. (This just makes it easier to get the bread out of the pan after baking.).
- Transfer the dough to the baking sheet.
- Using your fingertips, nudge the dough into a rectangle.
- Cover and let rise again until doubled, 30-40 minute.
- To bake, preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Make indentations all over the dough by pressing with your fingertips being careful not to puncture all the way through the dough.
- Brush olive oil over the top, filling in the wells.
- Sprinkle the salt and rosemary over the surface.
- Bake until crisp on the bottom and golden brown on top, about 30-35 minute.
- Top with crumbled blue cheese and drizzle with honey.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.