Recipe by Karin...
This bread is SO appealing and very versatile too! We often have it in the summertime quartered and sliced horizontally and filled with barbecued chicken thighs, lettuce, sliced red onions, tomatoes and avocado and some Paul Newman's Own Ranch Dressing! Simply divine!! The preparation time I have given does not include the time it takes for the Bread Machine to make the dough or the time it takes for the dough to rise.
Top Review by MauiPizza
This is a weird recipe. The dough is a runny mess. I had to add over a cup more flour. What's the point - why not correct the recipe with the correct amount of flour? Why knead it more after it comes out of the bread maker?
I use a kiawe-wood-fired bread oven. Tasted good - like pizza dough with olive oil. Next time I'll just put olive oil and seasoning on my pizza dough.
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (dried)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all of the above ingredients, accurately measured and in the order I have listed them, in the Bread Machine.
- Select the 'dough' cycle.
- When the cycle is complete, take the dough out of the Bread Machine, and proceed with the following steps: On a lightly floured surface, gently knead the dough for about 10 minutes.
- (you may need to add extra flour during this time) Place the 'Focaccia' dough in a well grease bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm (and draught free) place for about 1/2 an hour.
- Then, knead the dough lightly (in the bowl) for about 1 minute.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangular shape (about 20 cm x 30 cm)
- Place on a well greased baking tray (or sponge roll tin) and leave to rise again, in a warm place, this time for about 1 hour (or until it has doubled in it's original size) Now pour and smooth over with your fingers, 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 'Poke' the dough with 2 fingers at intervals over the surface, and sprinkle liberally with rock salt or equal measurements of olive oil and Basil pesto mixed together with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, top with chopped up sun-dried tomatoes and sliced black olives!
- Bake at 225°C for about 15 minutes or until golden brown!